Ingredients (provided in the Sobe Botanicals Etsy Shop)- “Ricinus communis oil, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Glycine Soja, Euphorbia cerifera wax, Copernicia Cerifera wax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Mica, Iron Oxides, Vitamin E, Essential oils”
The preliminary report I created for this product in the Cosmetics Database gives it a low hazard score of 2. The only ingredient with a hazard score above a 2 is the blend of unspecified essential oils.
1. It’s free of parabens, phenoxyethanol, and petrochemicals.
2. It’s cruelty-free.
Product Description(provided in the Sobe Botanicals Etsy Shop)- “Sobe Mineral Lip & Cheek Color. Great multipurpose color with beautiful results. Perfect to carry with you to take care of 2 of your beauty secrets with half the space. Beautiful colors & fabulous ingredients. They’re creamy, yet not greasy. They don’t dry out your skin, keep your lips nice & hydrated. They don’t contain any chemicals. Beautiful colors with Natural ingredients. (Vegan friendly)”
Price– only $7.99 for a .33 oz. tube, which is mega cheap as far as natural lip colors go. Am I right or am I right?
Performance– I think it might be easiest to evaluate the performance of this product with a pros and cons list, so here it goes:
- It leaves my lips feeling soft and looking shiny.
- It smells heavenly (see below).
- The shade, Mayhem, is a nice and rich red that does not make me look like a clown or a crazy person.
- This might seem obvious, but one can easily make the red less or more intense by adjusting the amount used.
- It seems fairly long-lasting, especially compared to natural lip colors in general.
- There’s only one con, and it’s the softness of the product. I expected it to be firm like a lipstick, but it isn’t. For this reason, I think it might be better suited to a small jar than a tube that rolls up and down. Regardless, I’ve been using a lip brush to apply it and it seems to work just fine. I do worry about taking it in my purse with me if I’m going to be outside for an extended period of time; I’d hate for it to melt everywhere. :-/
For the curious, here’s how the product looks on my lips (Danielle informed me that my face in this picture is screaming “Bitch, please.” She’s probably right.):
Scent– Back in my dark days of chemical-filled cosmetics, I used to love mark. Don’t judge me; I didn’t know any better. Anyway, I’m mentioning my past transgressions because their lip products had a very similar scent/flavor to this lip color. AND I LOVED IT. I’d describe with these two words: vanilla & mint.
Rating– I’m subtracting a point and a half since I’d prefer a more solid consistency, but this product definitely earns an 8.5/10.
Would I purchase this item again? Oh, absolutely.
Filed under: cosmetics, health and beauty, natural products, product review