I was moisturizing my face with a my jojoba/argan/lavender essential oil blend several nights ago when I discovered something altogether horrifying: there was mold growing in the oil mixture I had been applying to my face night after night. Sick, right?!
After promptly disposing of the rest of the product, I racked my brain in hopes of pinpointing where and when my negligence occurred. The bottle in which I stored the oils had previously been used for homemade beet blush, but before filling it with the oil in question I washed it thoroughly with soap and then boiled it in hot water for several minutes. This was only logical since the blush had developed a funny smell. Perhaps I didn’t let the bottle dry thoroughly and the leftover water contaminated the oil? Since I’d only been using the oil for a few weeks when I discovered the mold, this might be the only reasonable explanation. The bottle of pure lavender essential oil and the bottle of Watts Beauty Argan/Jojoba Oils are both fine, so the problem had to be with the bottle that held the mixture alone…right?
I prefer my products free of sketchy preservatives, but I’m also not a big fan of mold. Looks like I’ll be keeping a closer eye on the bottles in my bathroom from here on out! Consider this post a friendly reminder to do the same. : )
Filed under: health and beauty, life lessons, natural products
Tags: friendly reminder, jojoba oil, lavender, moisturizer, mold, unpleasant surprise, word to the wise